Team WinCo Paceline

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Bike MS? Walk MS? Clearing up some confusion....

There's been a little confusion about the Walk MS event in Boise on April 20th, and the Bike MS event in Utah on June 29th and 30th - specifically, which one am I fundraising for? Which one would I like contributions for? I'd like to clear that up. More after the jump...

I am fundraising here for Bike MS: Harmon's Best Dam Bike Ride, on June 29th and 30th, 2013. However, the MS Society works year-round to raise funds to fight MS, so there are multiple events that go on throughout the year. In the our MS Society chapter alone (Utah & Southern Idaho), there are seven Walk MS events and one Bike MS event.

I try and volunteer and help out the Society where I can year-round. So, I captained a team for the Walk MS event here in Boise on April 20th and recruited a team of about 15 walkers. The team has raised over $1,000 to-date, which is fantastic. However, I am not personally fundraising for Walk MS.

All the money raised by Walk MS and Bike MS goes to the same place, so why make the distinction?

I focus my fundraising efforts on Bike MS because I feel it's the best way to honor the memory of my late brother Rick, who was an avid road cyclist. As you probably know, we lost Rick to complications from MS in August, 2011. I feel more connected to Rick and passionate about fundraising when I'm on a bike. So, I decided that Bike MS is my one, single, yearly fundraising push.

Also, I don't feel good about coming back to my donors for money every year for multiple events. There's a lot of fundraising going on throughout the year for so many worthy causes - and I know you can get inundated. So, I wanted to be crystal clear about where my focus and passion is, and what exactly it is that I am asking for help with.

So to summarize, I raise funds to support Bike MS: Harmon's Best Dam Bike Ride. I will ask for money once a year. But I volunteer for multiple MS Society activities in other capacities throughout the year and will continue to do so.

Hope this helps! As always, please let me know if you have any questions/comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment